Moving to a new country is hard enough. You have to find housing, you have to find your favorite bagel shop, you have to figure out the subway system, and worst of all you have to figure out how to do your taxes.

Being an international student, you could be in one of these two situations: you don’t have a job in the United States, or you do. If you have income you definitely need to file taxes. Now you’d think that if you didn’t have a job, you’d be safe from filing taxes and you can delay the “adulting” a little bit and just explore the sights, smells, and eats of New York City. However, you do have to file those taxes, no matter your state of employment.

If you worked on or off campus, your employer will give you a W-2 form that will give you all the information about your income in the previous year. 

Did you know? ALL international students in the US, even those who don’t work,
 are required to file their taxes. That’s why Sprintax provides US tax preparation for nonresidents.

If you received a scholarship, fellowship, grant, or any other source of U.S. income subject to tax, you’ll need Form 1042-S in order to complete your tax return.

If you are on an F-1, J-1, F-2 or J-2 visa and you do not have income you have to file Form 8843.

All this sounds very complicated. But thankfully you don’t have to do any of this alone! Sprintax is here to make tax filing easy, just for you. All you have to do is create an account on Sprintax and follow the instructions on the website. It’s that easy.

Remember that the deadline for filing your taxes is April 18, so if you haven’t started the process yet, now is the time!

If you are unsure how to get started, then Sprintax is the way to go. Here is a list of frequently asked questions that can answer the flurry of thoughts beginning to form in your head now that you’ve started thinking about the process. And if you have more questions, then you’re in luck because Sprintax has a 24*7 live chat support to help you!

Can I file electronically with Sprintax?

Yes, you can e-file your federal tax return with Sprintax.

Sprintax has been approved by the IRS to submit Federal tax returns electronically (E-Filing).

That means it has never been easier to file your US Federal tax return!

If you are also required to submit a state tax return, Sprintax can help you to prepare your fully compliant state tax return. Then all you need to do is download, print and sign your documents and send them to the tax office.


What is the 18 April tax deadline for?

The 18 April deadline  is the date by which all tax returns must be filed for the previous year. If you owe money to the tax office and don’t file your tax return by this deadline, the U.S. tax authorities will impose late filing penalties and interest on the amount you owe.

What happens if I miss the tax return deadline?

If you have no tax liability, you should not worry about penalties and fines – the IRS will not penalize you if you do not file a return although you must still file Form 8843.

If you owe anything to the tax office, however, you may incur late filing fees and/or penalties.

Nonresidents can apply for their tax refunds even after the deadline, but a return has to be filed no more than 3 years after the original deadline in order for the IRS to issue a refund.

Can I file taxes without SSN or ITIN?

If you don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN) you will need to get a temporary number instead. This is called an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Sprintax can organize this for you.

An ITIN must be provided on tax returns, statements, and other tax-related documents.

What documents/information might I need to prepare my tax return?

  • Passport
  • U.S. entry and exit dates for current and all previous visits
  • All tax forms you’ve received (including Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099, etc.)
  • Visa/immigration status information, including Form DS-2019 (for J visa holders) or Form I-20 (for F visa holders) Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • If you are using Sprintax to prepare your state tax return(s) you will need a copy of your already prepared federal tax return

What are the benefits of using Sprintax?

  • IRS compliance
  • Step by step guidance
  • ITIN applications
  • User-friendly system
  • 24/7 Live Help

One To World brings local residents together with international students and Fulbright grantees, creating face-to-face experiences to foster intercultural understanding and build relationships that last a lifetime.  Annually, it provides over 100 programs for the more than 90,000 international students and Fulbright grantees who study at New York-area institutions. One To World engages these young global leaders representing more than 140 countries in American life, building cooperation, and respect among people from around the world.

One To World is designated by the U.S. Department of State as the official Coordinator of Enrichment Programs for the 800+ visiting Fulbright grantees in the New York area each year. When the late Senator J. William Fulbright authored legislation to create the Fulbright program over 75 years ago, he specified these enrichment programs as key components of it. He believed that the time Fulbright grantees spent off-campus would be as important as their academic studies in fostering cultural understanding and ultimately, a more peaceful world.

Recommended Posts