Don't miss the last Cultural Cuisine of the academic year! Share a delicious & traditional Indian meal with fellow international students while reminiscing over the past year in NYC!
In celebration of the end of the semester, we’ll be heading to a restaurant recommended by one of our international students from India, The MasalaWala, which translates to "The Merchant of Spice." Let Satyen Mazumdar, MasalaWala's owner and a master of spice from Kolkata, take you on a culinary journey to the bustling streets of West Bengal's state capital! We're excited for you to taste these authentic and mouthwatering Indian dishes that we've put together for you this special evening!
This menu has been specifically designed for One To World guests.
Appetizers (Family Style)
- Gobi Manchurian (vegetarian): popular dish from Kolkata; deep-fried cauliflower florets marinated in ginger, garlic and Indian-Chinese fusion spices, served with green pepper and fresh scallions.
- Samosa (vegetarian): deep-fried crispy pastry stuffed with potatoes, peas, onions, and spices.
Entrees (Family Style)
All served with basmati rice, butter and garlic naan (oven-baked and leavened flatbread).
- Chicken Tikka Masala: boneless chicken marinated in yogurt and spices, grilled in a Tandoor oven and served in a spiced tomato cream sauce.
- Dal Tadka (vegetarian): yellow lentil stew cooked with turmeric, spices and cilantro garnish.
- Aloo Gobi (vegetarian): potato (aloo in Hindi) and cauliflower curry cooked with onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices.
- Palak Paneer (vegetarian): seared Indian cottage cheese (paneer in Hindi) in a creamy spinach curry.
Dessert (Family Style)
- Gulab Jamun: deep-fried dough balls made with powdered milk, flour, and ghee (clarified butter), served hot and covered in a sweet rose-scented, cardamom syrup.
- Mango Lassi: yogurt-based drink made with mango pulp.
Date: Thursday, May 30th
Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM (approximately)
Location: The MasalaWala, 179 Essex Street, Manhattan, NY
Cost:* $27 (includes meal, tax, & tip)
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, May 28th
Contact: Romane Berti, Enrichment Programs Global Fellow, here or at (212) 431-1195 ext. 33
*All program fees are non-refundable.